Happy Kadayawan 2013!

Because I Fell in Love Here in Davao

From: http://www.ajperez.org/


Kadayawan Festival 2013 Banner
I have been staying here in Davao for almost four years now, from a supposedly one-week talk, that one-week extended to four years, and counting.
My friends and family from Manila are always asking me the reasons for my extended stay here. I left a lucrative career in Manila, and abruptly said goodbye to the Church ministries I am involved with there. Of course, I also left my circle of friends whom I love very much and treat as my second family. Actually, they were growing suspicious of my reasons. And them knowing me well, they all thought of the same reason why I am stuck here: That I met someone and fell in love, and got her pregnant. That I am now fathering a child here in Davao. Being the troll that I am, I just kept silent and kept them guessing and speculating.
But now, for the first time, I will confirm their suspicion. So open your notes, audio recorders and video cameras for this press conference.
Yes, I fell in love. And it’s because of her that I am staying here. I never knew anyone who could have knocked me off my feet this way.
Her name?
Davao. Last name, City. My pet name for her is LaviDavs.
Yes, Davao enchanted me from the get go. During my younger years when I always flunk my math subject (actually, the rest of the subjects too as well), my parents in their anger would always threaten me to send me to our province. Now, my parents are not from Davao and young as I am, I always equate the word “province” with “hell.” In my young and gullible mind, I thought “provinces” means a place where they haven’t invented the television yet and the only source of light are “petro-maxes” (petrol-fuel lamps). My parents always threaten me with that notion of exile and that’s why I am traumatized with the word “province.” I was a proud Manileño growing up, thinking that I was so lucky living in the center of it all. I thought as a Manileño, I’m a bit better than anyone my age living in the province. But I realized now, I was living a big lie.
That’s because I met my LaviDavs.
Here, if I want to relax after a very long day, it’s easy as 1-2-3. Beaches with white sands are just 15 minutes away. In Manila? 3 hours minimum for the nearest clean beach. Literally in Davao, in your lunch break, you can go and have it on the beach and still come back to your office for your afternoon shift. And how much, you ask me? Well, the queen of it all is  still pearl farm, but there are still white beaches that just have P20.00 entrance fees. Really.
sunset_beach
This is the P20.00 beach. Really.
Or maybe you’re an outdoors type of person? Still, Davao is the best place for you because where else can you  find Mt. Apo, the big old daddy of it all? Literally, when you wake up each morning, just face at the south and you’ll see the white-ish tip of Mt. Apo as if it’s challenging you, “You wanna piece of me?! Come up here, you wanna piece of me?!”
mt. apo view1
“You wanna piece of me??”
Whether you are a beach bum or an outdoorsman, Davao is definitely for you.
Now, about the traffic: It’s nonexistent here. Although now, Davaoeños are now complaining of a growing traffic. But hey, compared to Manila, Davao’s “traffic woes” are like Manila Sunday mornings when a Pacquiao fight is going on. Funny thing, in Manila P300.00 for a cab fare is the average (well, Parañaque to Ortigas anyway) but in Davao, P300.00 for a cab fare means you have already circled the whole of Davao clockwise and counterclockwise. And mind you, Davao cabbies are well known for their honesty, they give exact change even if it’s just one peso, and if you tip them P20.00, they will consider you as heaven sent. You will never never hear them say: “I-kontrata na lang natin ‘to, magkano ba binabayad mo?” (Let’s not use the meter anymore, how much do you usually pay?)
In a way, Davao is very much like Manila: it has malls, buildings and all those advanced stuff. But without the traffic, pollution and the pick-pockets. Plus it has the beaches and mountains. Point: Davao.
You are boasting that Manila has the central government offices like Malacañang and Congress? Well, Davao has a big crocodile park, so it’s a tie.
Now, how about my favorite subject, food? Davao undoubtedly is the king of buffets. The most expensive buffet here is just around a thousand bucks (compared to P2,500 of Spiral? Hello!) and there are many buffets here that are on the P150.00 range. Yes you read it right, for a price of a Big Mac meal, that’s already a feast of a buffet (Check out Tita D’s, Kuya Ed’s, Kusina ni Maria, Apong Kula, Greenhills buffet, and more – yes, I know what you’re thinking, I tried them all.) Upgrade your budget to a P399.00 range  and you’ll have a very fat crab buffet, big shrimps buffet, etc (Check out Glamour, Ranch and Reef, Chippens, Zabs, Nanay Bebeng’s – YEAH, I TOLD YOU I TRIED THEM ALL. Please don’t judge me.).
crab
Yes, die of over-eating, die!!!
The funny thing here is, in Manila if you wanna save up, eat at McDonald’s. Here, if you wanna save up, never eat at McDonald’s. Because in every corner, there is an ihaw-ihaw with puso (rice wrapped and cooked in banana leaves).
Now speaking of food, let me talk to you for a second about the fruit, Durian. Durian is getting bad press lately because how it’s supposed to be unappetizing because of it’s strong smell. But how can you say you’re tough in life if you cannot even eat Durian? Durian teaches us a lesson. Life is like Durian, it may be hard at first but once you let go of hard shell and the strong smell, you’ll gonna taste the sweet life in the end as your reward. Quitters never taste the sweetreward, I tell you. That’s why Davaoeños are one tough people. Durian is their Mr. Miyagi.
Durian
My mouth becomes watery just looking at this pic. Time to go to Bankerohan.
Davao is known for how safe she is. I know you have heard of the Mayors Duterte (father and daughter)? They’re always in the news in Manila, right? But never in a bad way. But more than the awesome mayors, it’s more of the people. Davaoeños understand why things have to be done in a certain kind of way. Here in Davao, there is a total smoking ban in public places, and Liquor ban starts at 1:00AM. Yes, kind of rough, but the people here support it. Do that in an another Philippine City, I am sure there will be rallies left and right. Yes, the mayor here has balls and has strong political will, but more than that, people here are smart and they support the wisdom of the mayor. That’s a flawless dynamic here in Davao. They are willing to sacrifice their small liberties and comfort for the good of the many. Never did I see a place in the Philippines where people are 100% behind their mayor. And the results, of course, speak for themselves:
According to Numbeo.com, Davao is the 4th safest city in the world.
Funny, in Manila, if there is an increased presence of the military, let’s say in malls, the media there will cry “martial law” and people get paranoid. But here, people are happy whenever the military is around. Maybe because the military here are down-to-earth. I could not forget this one time when there was this show-and-tell military booth inside the mall (because it’s their anniversary or something), the soldiers there were gamely posing in selfies, korean peace signs, and even duckfaces. Yeah, in full combat fatigues.
Yes, life is indeed here. Mayor Duterte even has his own TV show where he can freely give ultimatums to potential criminals. I imagine he’s like Willie Revilliame but instead of giving away free jackets, he offers caskets to criminals. “Bigyan ng casket yaaannn!”
I remember laughing weeks ago because I think the police chief here said (commenting on the very successful rescue of a kidnapped businesswoman), “Life begins in Davao, but if you are a criminal, it ends here to.” I only have one word to respond to that: Taray.
(Isn’t it funny that the kidnap victim, a resident of Quezon City insisted to be taken all the way south to Davao City by her captors because she is confident that she’ll be rescued here? Any comment, Mayor Bistek?)
white_van_down
Davaoeños are so proud of their Mayor and Police Chief that they did internet memes praising them.
But finally, what makes Davao great are not really the beaches, mountains, food nor their mayor. It’s really the people. I fell in love with the people here. The day God showered the world with the virtue of friendliness, Davaoeños all went out of their houses and got drums to catch it all. Never have I met people who were so very kind to me wherever I go. They are never pretentious and are very happy with their simplicity. Friendliness and warmth are their default disposition. Remember the Davao policeman who made the news last Holy Week by selflessly giving first-aid to an old stranger? That summarizes what the Davaoeños are: by virtue, by spirit and by valor.
A short testimony: Davao has the most sophisticated rescue system (911) in the country. Even better than Makati. I heard the 911 system in Davao is second only to the US and Canada, however what got me is when I saw a poor elderly woman met an accident in downtown Davao, it’s still the 911 rescue team who came to her aid. What am I saying? The sophisticated rescue system here are not just available for the rich, it’s for the poor too. I’ve seen it. I’m a witness to it. That converted me totally to Davaoism.
Davaoeños are really one of a kind.
davao_police_assist
This young Davaoeño Policeman says it all
Thank you my Davao friends for taking care of me. Thank you for the friendship and adopting me as one of your own.
Davao honey, my LaviDavs, thank you for loving me back. You changed my life in a moment, so it might be you. I might flirt with Boracay from time to time, but you know my heart is all yours.
And each time I sing this part of the song, I close my eyes:
“Tayo’y Dabawenyo
Na tapat at totoo
Pangarap ay matamo
Kaluwalhatian mo
Lungsod na paraiso.”
Because, I really meant that. Life is really here.
Happy Kadayawan 2013 everyone!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Protected by Copyscape Online Infringement Checker